Sunday, April 15, 2012

Master Bedroom... Monkey see monkey do

Well I've been dying to post this little master bedroom renovation and thought I would wait until I'm completely done, but hey, that's just no fun! Our master bedroom is a bit bland. It's calm and spacious, but there's nothing exciting about it. When Ryan and I were first married, we went out and did the whole "buy a room, no down payment, zero interest" thing. I really do like the bedroom set we picked but my taste has changed over the years. Now I like a bit more eclectic and less matchy matchy. We have also been down a headboard since we upgraded to a king size bed a couple years ago. In my 2 year search for cheap headboards I've become paralyzed with ideas. There are so many good ones out there that I just didn't know what to choose. I wanted a headboard that would soften the feel of all the heavy furniture but would still hold it's own in such a large room. I also just couldn't bring myself to ditch all my "buy a room" furniture because my tastes have changed (I'm neurotic but not wasteful). So I really wanted to work in some color and cheap finds to go with what I already gots. That's when I stumbled across this little genius:
http://vintagerevivals.blogspot.com/2012/01/master-bedroom-before-and-after.html

This gal, Mandi, has the most incredible blog. She has fantastic taste and design skills and she's pretty damn handy. Love her. I hate to even share her with you because she is WAY cooler than me, but I figure it's good karma :)

So yup, that's where I stole/borrowed these ideas. Even bought the same headboard (I think) as her :-) So here is my before pics and after.





Basically it's a process called board and batten and Mandi has a WHOLE tutorial on her blog if you are interested in doing this. Her tips and techniques really did work. Took us about 2 whole days with 2 kids slowing us down a bit. The hardest part is getting the math right for hanging the boards. Once you get that figured, it's all down hill. I ordered this metal headboard from overstock.com and I couldn't be happier with it. It came in black so I took it outside and assembled it with Ryan. Then used a primer and can of spray paint (matte nickel) to get this effect. It goes with the hardware on my furniture. 

I'm planning to sell my two nightstands and pop in the ones I bought at my Round Top trip. I'm thinking of painting those a turquoise or teal or kelly green. Would love your thoughts people!!! 

I still have several smaller projects that I'm working on and will share over the coming weeks. 
     * curtains
     * refinish my nightstands from Round Top
     * new lamps
     * craft table make over
     * grandpa's lamp





No comments:

Post a Comment