Monday, April 9, 2012

My Happy Place- Round Top, TX

Twice a year this little bitty town, 2 hours east of San Antonio, holds an antique fair that will drop your socks. There is no explaining the madness that takes over this town. It's like your on this sweet country drive through wildflowers and cow pastures and then BAM, tent freakin city of awesomeness. More shit than you could ever dream of. You need it, they got it. You want it, they'll find it. You weren't looking for it, it'll bite ya in the ass. Hence my purchase of a vintage baby scale. Yup, I had to have to it.


The Low Down. What do all these vendors sell? Let me put it to you this way- I've bought drinking straws made from glass (yup, just like Oprah's) and a 6 foot spiderweb candelabra for Halloween.  They have it all. New clothes and boots, old saddles and minks. Our family friends have a booth for pennants (it's a serious amount of pennants- every team, school, event you could think of and one kick ass gift for your spouse/ boyfriend or even college roommate). Bring cash, check (holy geez Carrie I really thought you knew that) and credit. Cash speaks loudest, but most vendors take additional forms of payment. You can expect a gentle negotiation (usually reduce the listed price by about 10%). The air conditioned buildings (Cole's is my favorite) are slightly higher priced with higher quality merchandise (these vendors usually really know their inventory). Outdoor tented areas and field vendors have a REALLY wide variety of stuff and it's more like a treasure hunt.

Wear comfy shoes and layered clothes. I like to pack a couple of those bags that roll up and stow in your purse for extra handling of my purchases. I usually bring a granola bar or two and some water since it may be a bit of a trek to get to a dining area (they have everything from girly sandwiches to bbq).

Round Top happens twice a year. The last weekend in March through the first weekend in April. Then again in the fall (last weekend in September and first weekend in October).  The first weekend has a bit more selection before it's all picked over. The second weekend I see better deals because vendors don't want to pack it all up. You can't go wrong. If you plan to stay the night (and yes, there is plenty worth seeing over 2 days- think Disneyland), then plan ahead. B&Bs fill up fast.

Children? Well I wouldn't. I've brought an infant there before but I had help from my husband. You don't see many kids out there and there isn't a whole lot for them to do. Husbands? Well depends on your man. Mine likes to see our friends and family and enjoy a beer (yup, booze is allowed and encouraged) out there but the amount of shopping is pretty much his idea of hell. Our compromise? He gets to stay at home, but watches the kids and I get a day to myself.

Here's a few shots of my FAVORITE booths:

This is Traci's shop. She's like a mini Anthropology with authentic stuff. How cute are those coasters? And I LOVED her display of thermoses in the back.

My mom and I refer to this booth as The Kitchen Lady. She has EVERYTHING vintage for your kitchen. It's all in perfect condition and the cutest little color coordinated sets. I mean seriously, pedestal glass celery holder? Yes, please. 

Ran across this darling booth just outside of Cole's called Flown the Coop. This place really had my brain going 90 miles an hour with creative flow. Love this desk in the center. See how they painted just one handle white? Clever. 

Box of lace. Need I say more? You'll see a little Pinterest slip project I'm planning in the future with a little swatch I picked up here. 

So here's what I actually I took home this trip:

Twin bed frame for Rhett's room. Two 1920's nightstands that need some love and COLOR. Drink carrier, two hand painted oils, 2 cake toppers (I collect these), hanging files for my master bedroom, wooden tray for God knows what?, and an & symbol for my bookshelves. 

Best part is the little bits of history you find. Thanks Ms. Bess Booth McKay for my sweet little paintings!

Thought I would use this old card catalogue for organizing my photos. Opened it at home and found an old card from a church listing- rather amusing. 

No trip to Round Trip is complete without a dinner at my FAVORITE restaurant ever. It's called Brazos Belle and it's primarily French cuisine featuring excellent beef and fish selections. Chef Andre always says hello to his guests and has an awesome selection of wines and dessert as well (must get the chocolate mousse). 



Round Top resumes this fall September 27th- October 6th. Hope you check it out. I pretty much go rain or shine twice a year (only exceptions are like labor and it would have to be imminent labor at that). 



2 comments:

  1. Shit...that is the EXACT scale my mom used to weighed all six of her children!! Freakin awesome!!
    Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete