Thursday, March 15, 2012

Baby Food 101

Making your own baby food seems to be the latest trend, but in reality, it's probably the oldest. I'm personally a big fan. I figure if I don't want to eat what comes out of those baby jars then why would my baby? And seriously, it's easy. I don't have any real tricks or big fancy baby food making machine. I'm VERY basic when it comes down to it. I'm no expert, just a mom feeding her babe. Wanna know how I do it? Then stay with me. And feel free to share your own tips and tricks. 

1. I like to make a ton of baby food all at once- usually about 6 weeks worth at a time (it doesn't last as long as the baby gets older and eats more, but by then I'm usually incorporating table foods). Some people like to make one veggie and let that run out and then do another batch. Whatever floats your boat. SO head to the store and pick out what you want to make. This go round I selected: butternut squash (1), yellow squash (4), zucchini (4), broccoli (1-from my garden), cauliflower (1), sweet potatoes (5), carrots (1 lb), green apples (1 bag). Get yourself some cheap ice cube trays (I have 6 and wish I had twice that). In terms of organic or not, I follow my normal rules (veggies and fruits with thicker skins or that I'm going to peel I buy standard, thin skins like berries I buy organic when available). 

2. Prep your veggies. Peel your carrots, sweet potatoes, apples etc. and chop to smaller pieces for faster cooking. Boil a pot of water (usually just enough water to cover what you are cooking). I boil almost everything I make for baby with a few exceptions (I'll go over that in a minute). Throw in your veggie and cook until seriously soft. I cook all my veggies separately with the exception of yellow squash and zucchini and broccoli and cauliflower. Those I combine because they cook down quite a bit (it's really for efficiency more than anything). 



Butternut squash, spaghetti squash, tomatoes and sometimes sweet potatoes I will roast in the oven. See my previous post on spaghetti squash to see detailed instructions on roasting this delicious squash.



3. Once your veggie/fruit is super soft, drain off MOST (not all) of your excess water. Now you are ready to MASH MASH MASH!! I use this awesome avocado masher and just cream away right there in the pot. If the veggie seems thick I add a little water. If it's too thin, no worries, we can correct later by adding some rice cereal or by combining it with other veggies or beans or lentils when we defrost. Now you let this cool down some. Want it really super pureed? Use a blender or food processor. Or one of them fancy William Sonoma baby food things. 



4. Once it's cool enough to handle, I spoon the veggie into ice cube trays and freeze. Usually takes my stuff anywhere from 4-6 hours to freeze. Then I bust it out and put it into ziplock freezer bags (make sure you label the item and put a date on it). 



5. I don't add any ingredients to the stuff I cook with the exception of apples. These I add a little shake of sugar over the top and some cinnamon. Delicious! Pears are also excellent like this. 

Now a few side notes and tips to some commonly asked questions:

* I typically use 2 cubes of veggie per serving for my new little eater. More cubes as they grow. 

* Picky eater? To sweeten a veggie I like to use a dash of cinnamon (works well with butternut squash and sweet potatoes). Needs to be a little more salty?  I use a little shake of parmesan cheese (great with broccoli and peas). Both my kids have responded well to this. 

* Add to your food stash as your baby grows by preparing some white beans or lentils. Great way to bulk up the meal. One bag of these makes a TON!

* If you are in a mommy circle or HAVE AWESOME NEIGHBORS (2 of my neighbors had babies the same week as me :) then consider a baby food exchange. Shout out to Crystal and Laura who came up with this idea. I just scored some peas and carrots for some sweet potatoes. 

* Hmm what to do with frozen cube of food and screaming baby? It's easy! I throw mine into the microwave and use the defrost mode for about 40 seconds. Then nuke it in 10 second increments if you need it warmer. 

* I'm usually able to defrost and throw it in tupperware if I'm heading out to eat and want to feed my little man on the town. BUT when I'm short on time or on a road trip, I really like the Sprout brand of baby food. I'm also a big fan of the Plum brand and their nifty little spoon that just twists on for a seriously fast feed. 

* Baby bored with the selection? Well this is when it gets fun. I like to start combing. (Obviously you should only do this once you are sure baby doesn't have any allergies to what you are mixing). Serve your yellow squash stirred into some sweet potatoes. Try tomatoes and legumes. Play with some combos. Need more ideas? Walk down the baby food aisle and see what awesome little meal ideas they have- Sprout is great for thinking outside the box. 

* Use your common sense. Most restaurants have a banana or avocado. Ask for one whole and mash it with your fork. 

* Need some healthy snacks? Try warming a handful of peas or edamame and let your baby work on their pincher grasp. Those little green balls look like fun to a 9 month old (we hope at least :)

* Cook what's in season. Fall is great for squashes. This is a great time of year for citrus. Berries are awesome in the summer. Not sure what's in season? It's usually the stuff on sale. 


3 comments:

  1. Great blog entry!

    I usually try and always buy organic, but if I don't, I usually try and go by the "Dirty Dozen/Clean 15" list: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/. I always, always try and buy organic if the item is on the Dirty Dozen list.

    Here are some fun puree suggestions for when you start combining more flavors! I have this wonderful baby & toddler cookbook that I got these from. Ben loved all of these:

    (1) Beet & Potato Swirl: (1 bunch of baby beets, 1 russet potato). It ends up being a pretty red and white swirly puree. Warning though, it'll turn your baby's poop kinda red, so don't be alarmed.

    (2) Summer Fruit "Smoothie": (1 chilled banana, 1 nectarine, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 cup apple juice). You basically cut everything into chunks and then blend it all together. More apple juice for a thinner smoothie, less apple juice for a thicker one. Ella would probably love this smoothie, too! If you want to remove the skins, you can strain the smoothie. :)

    (3) Baby's Guacamole: (1 large ripe avocado, 1/2 cup peeled cucumber, 1/4 tspn ground cumin). Remove skin off of avocado, throw into food processor and process. Using the large holes of a box grater-shredder, shred the cucumber and add to the food processor along with the cumin. Process to a smooth puree or chunkier when baby can handle it. If you need it thinner, then you can add water, breast milk or formula to thin it out.

    There are a lot more, but too much to write in this comment! I really should just let you borrow this recipe book. It has SO many great ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome ideas Sang! Thanks for sharing!! Love the dirty dozen list. I've never seen that before but definitely think I will be using this in the future. And cucumber in the guac... genius!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Amy for the easy to follow process. Making baby food is in my future :) I wish we lived closer so I could join your food swap!

    Thanks Sang for your advise on the Dirty Dozen. I found the Dirty Dozen App on my phone, so now I will have it with me at the Grocery Store.

    ReplyDelete