Friday, August 10, 2012

I Know Enough to Know I don't Know Enough

So for Mother's Day, Ryan bought me a Groupon to Lander's Photography School. I FINALLY took my class called Getting to Know Your Camera and HOLY COW was it helpful. I'm seriously afraid to admit to you all how much I didn't know!!! I'll put it to you this way: the instructor started the class by laughing about a few students who didn't even know how to focus their lenses (LOL but I totally was not laughing....). I learned more in this 2 hours then I think I would have learned in 12 on my own. Taking a class put it all together for me and answered a lot of questions quickly and easily for me. So am I a pro now? HELL to the no! But I do know WAY more about my fancy camera and about the exposure triangle (now I sound fancy right??) So here is the gist of what they covered:

-lens types and how they work

-what all those numbers mean on your lens

-shooting modes (you only need to use 3!). This was life changing for me. Apparently I have been using my uber expensive camera like a point and shoot. Ain't that sad? So this shows you how to get into a semi-manual and manual mode.

-how to get your camera to shoot in continuous shooting mode

-white balance and what the hell is it?

-meter settings (I'm still really freaking confused on this concept.... anyone want to teach me more?)

-Setting your jpeg quality

-zeroing out your meters (yeah... practice)

SO basically I need to take my camera out for a spin. I think the thing to do from here is play play play. There is just a ton to learn. Seems like the more I know, the more I realize how little I know. To all my photographer friends- I knew you were really talented and gifted but now I'm just in freakin' awe!

www.landersphotoschool.com
210-681-8552

No comments:

Post a Comment