Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Spaghetti Squash

So I love a new recipe and I like to try a new food (sometimes) but I especially love new veggies I've never had. One of my favorites is spaghetti squash. So I thought I'd share how I prepare it since this one can be one of those "what the fuck is that" produce items you pass right over at HEB. SO here goes.

1. Buy a small one (it makes a ton!)


2. Use a big ass knife and slice it in half long ways (hot dog style). Gut the inside like you would a pumpkin. I discard the seeds but maybe there is something fancy you could do with them? Not sure.


3. Flip it over, face down and pierce it all over with a fork. This will help it to steam when you cook it and draw the heat through it.


4. Place it face down in a baking dish with about a quarter inch of water in the bottom. Bake for 20-30 min at 350 degrees. I like mine al dente but cook longer if you want it softer.


5. Remove it from pan and peel out the insides using a fork (similar to shredding chicken). Throw it in a bowl and season with butter, salt and pepper to taste. Add parmesan cheese over the top and serve. Other variations include topping with marinara sauce or adding roasted tomatoes and herbs. All are delicious. I use it as a main course if I add meatballs or a side if I stick to the butter version. You can't go wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment